Following this week's announcement that Derby will remain in Tier 3 restrictions, we are sad to announce that all cinema screenings of A Christmas Carol will be cancelled.
PLEASE NOTE: if you have an existing booking for the cancelled screenings, we will be in touch with you directly to highlight the options available to you.
Experience the Wonder of Theatre Through Cinema
A brand new re-telling of the classic family tale coming to cinemas and theatres nationwide this Christmas.
Join us at Derby Theatre for a special cinema screening of the new A Christmas Carol film, showing for just 3 nights only.
A rich combination of haunting and theatrical drama with characters portrayed by dancers and voiced by an eclectic cast of incredible actors including Simon Russell Beale, Martin Freeman, Carey Mulligan, Daniel Kaluuya and Andy Serkis.
Age Guidance: PG
Running Time: 96 minutes
About The Film
“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!”
A Victorian family prepares a paper theatre for a performance of A Christmas Carol. The audience enters the imagination of one of the children and quickly, the cardboard stage transforms to reveal a magical world containing real dancers and stylised sets.
The classic tale unfolds in a rich tapestry of highly absorbing, theatrical drama featuring sumptuous visual effects inspired by the techniques of early cinema. In a daring twist of format, characters are portrayed by dancers and voiced by an eclectic cast of the world’s most recognisable actors.
The mix of danced action and spoken narration brings fresh dimension to Dickens’ characters and poetic language, whilst remaining true to the beauty of the author’s original narrative.
Please note that visitors must bring along and wear a face covering at all times whilst in our venue, including when seated in our auditorium, unless you are exempt due to a mental, physical or hidden disability or are under 11 years old. Please do not be offended if a member of our front of house team double checks that the reason you are not wearing a face covering is for medical reasons.
Scroll down for more information about how to book, seating and our health and safety guidelines...
Closed Captioning using the Difference Engine: Saturday 12 December, 8pm
Simon Russell Beale as the voice of Scrooge - Danced by Michael Nunn and Jakub Franasowicz
Andy Serkis as the voice of Marley’s Ghost - Danced by Russell Maliphant
Martin Freeman as the voice of Bob Cratchit - Danced by Karl Fagerlund Brekke
Daniel Kaluuya as The Ghost of Christmas Present - Danced by Mikey Boats
Carey Mulligan as Belle - Danced by Grace Jabbari
Lesley Caron as The Ghost of Christmas Past - Danced by Dana Fouras
Dame Sian Phillips as The Narrator
About The Directors
Behind A Christmas Carol are two of the most exciting and creative British filmmakers today. Sibling directors Jacqui Morris and David Morris first shot to prominence with their 2013 debut, the double BAFTA nominated McCullin.
The Grierson award-winning film Attacking the Devil followed in 2016, highlighting the ground-breaking investigative work of the late Sir Harold Evans during the thalidomide scandal. Their third film, Nureyev lifted the curtain on one of the world’s most iconic ballet dancers.
- All bookings must be made in advance. We encourage you to book online, where you will be issued with an e-ticket.
- Please make sure your theatre account has an up-to-date e-mail address and contact number so we can send your e-ticket and contact you for Track and Trace if necessary.
- If you wish to book and collect your tickets from the Box Office on the day you must book by calling 01332 59 39 39, texting 07717 346 964 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note the Box Office is only open to take calls on Tuesdays - Saturdays between 10:30am-2:30pm until further notice.
- Remember to book early to avoid disappointment as there is limited capacity available.
- Book with confidence: we will be offering a flexible ticketing policy to avoid any concern about cancelled performances. A free exchange or refund will be offered in cases of event cancellations due to COVID-19.
- In line with government advice, we are only able to offer seats in socially distanced pods (of varying sizes, but not exceeding six people), with two metre distance between each pod. Pods of seats can only be booked and occupied by people from within one household or bubble.
- Please only book into a seating pod that matches your group size. For example a group of 2 people should not book into a pod for 4 people. If your pod size is not available please try another performance.
- If the pod size you wish to book is not available on any of your desired dates, please consider booking one pod of 3 and one pod of 2 for a group of 5, or two pods of 3 for a group of 6.
A Christmas Carol screenings are part of Derby Theatre's re-opening to the public for performances this December and you can rest assured that the venue will be safe for audiences attending.
Safety measures will include socially distanced seating, reduced capacity, e-tickets, staff wearing protective face visors, hand sanitisation stations, enhanced cleaning schedules, plus much more.
These stringent measures have all been put in place to fully adhere to government guidelines and to ensure our audiences feel safe and confident in visiting us.