Three married couples. Three kitchens. Three parties.
Sidney Hopcroft, a small-time tradesman, persuades wife Jane to throw a Christmas party hoping to find favour with a bank manager and local architect. As the celebrations get under way, class differences and naked ambition combine to hilarious effect as, one by one, the characters seek refuge in Jane’s kitchen.
Over the next two years, the Jacksons and Brewster-Wrights take turns to host festivities. But Sidney’s star has begun to rise and roles are increasingly reversed as the cracks in the other couples’ marriages begin to show.
Alan Ayckbourn’s comic masterpiece of social climbing in 1970s suburbia fuses a potent mix of farce and black comedy.
An Olivier and Tony Award winning playwright, Alan Ayckbourn’s 81 plays have been produced worldwide. Notable successes include: The Norman Conquests, Relatively Speaking, Bedroom Farce, A Chorus of Disapproval and Communicating Doors. Following their successful tour of Absent Friends in 2015, Alan Ayckbourn’s much-loved 1972 classic will be the centrepiece of London Classic Theatre’s 20th Anniversary Year.
‘A master of comic ingenuity’
- All bookings must be made in advance, where you will be issued with an e-ticket. Please note that the Box Office is currently available for calls (01332 59 39 39) and in-person bookings on Tuesday - Saturday between 10am - 2pm. Online bookings are available 24/7.
- For any enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 07717 346 964 and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Please make sure your theatre account has an up-to-date e-mail address and contact number so we can send your e-ticket.
- Book with confidence: we will be offering a flexible ticketing policy to avoid any concern about cancelled performances. A free exchange or refund will be offered in cases of event cancellations due to COVID-19.
Socially Distanced Seating Pods
- In line with government advice, we are offering seats for all in-person events up until 21 June 2021 in socially distanced pods with one metre distance between each pod. Pods of seats can only be booked and occupied by people from within one household or bubble.
- Please only book into a seating pod that matches your group size. If the pod size you wish to book is not available, please consider booking two pods of 2 for a group of 4, one pod of 2 and one pod of 3 for a group of 5 and so on. If this is not suitable, please do get in touch to discuss by email email@example.com or text 07717 346 964.
- Please note there is some level of flexibility and if demand is there we will look to adapt the seating plan as and where we can, while maintaining social distancing, to continue offering varying sized pods.
- If government guidelines change before this event takes place, the seating plan may change and capacity may increase.