About In Good Company
Born out of consultation with our community of artists, In Good Company is the professional development programme for artists making work in the East Midlands. Funded by Arts Council England, In Good Company was originally launched in 2014 and is now delivered by Derby Theatre, Attenborough Arts Centre in Leicester, Lincolnshire One Venues, Mansfield Old Library and Burton Brewhouse.
All five arts organisations are committed to the development of artists and, with strong links to educational institutions, they're perfectly placed to nurture and nourish emerging artists as they establish themselves as artists of the future. The programme enagages, inspires and ignites a family of regional artists and specially recruitedAssociate Companies. There are a range of opportunities for East Midlands artists including; performance platforms, workshops, commissions, festivals, meet-ups, pitching sessions and bespoke mentoring.
"What marks out In Good Company is that Derby began by asking artists what it was they wanted and needed rather than simply telling them what they had planned for them, and the scheme continues to consult" Lyn Gardner, Critic
In Good Company is led by a team of independent producers who are actively working within the industry to produce and tour new work. They are:
Emily Coleman - Programme Producer
Daniel Nicholas – Assistant Producer
Rafia Hussain – Sustained Theatre Regional Associate Producer, Derby Theatre
In Good Company is committed to increasing opportunities and support for all. We recognise the need within ‘all’ to be diverse and representative of the world we live in today. Therefore all includes (but is not exclusive of):
- People of colour
- People from non-British backgrounds
- Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Queer people
- Gender diverse people
- People from working class backgrounds
- D/deaf and Disabled people (including hidden disabilities)
In Good Company recognises that for some people lack of experience or knowledge can be a barrier to engagement, and we welcome all questions with regards to any opportunity we offer and will provide bespoke support to all who need it.
Egg Box Theatre, Associate Artists 2015/16
“In Good company has changed so many things for the region. I’m really grateful for the advice, pragmatic wisdom and time you give artists” Beth Shouler, Artist
In Good Company has been a dynamic catalyst for the development of new work and regional artists, and inspired a culture of nurture and support across the region. Here are a few of our achievements so far:
- Supported over fourty successful Grants for the Arts applications
- Hosted 16 paid scratch performance platforms, each supporting five new pieces of work
- Curated two performance festivals annually featuring artists including: The Paper Birds, Jamie Wood, Selina Thompson, Bootworks Theatre, Two Destination Language, Richard Dedomenici, Paula Varjack and many more.
- Supported associate artists with financial contributions totalling £33,000
- Supported other artists financially through scratch nights and commissions totalling £34,000
- Produced an ongoing workshop programme (50 workshops+) that is either free or under £15 to attend
So have a look at our opportunities, workshops and performance pages and see how you can get involved with In Good Company.
To contact In Good Company please email: email@example.com
The Artists' Network is a digital and physical collection of artists. It is open access - it brings together the “I”s to make a “we”, it turns acquaintances into friends and competition into collaborators. We send a bi-weekly e-newsletter and your one-stop-shop for all artist development opportunities across the region. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join. As a local artist who is a member of the artist network you are welcome to request a 1-2-1 mentoring session with one of our programme producers.