Health & Safety Information for Your Visit
Reassuring our audiences, visitors and staff
At Derby Theatre, our mission is to create truly memorable experiences and we place the upmost importance on the safety and wellbeing of our audience members, visitors and staff.
We have introduced a range of new health and safety measures that seek to reduce the risk associated with the presence of COVID-19 that are in line with government advice and local health authority requirements. This includes a combination of reduced capacity, 2 metre social distancing and the use of face coverings.
These measures are in place for when the Theatre re-opens for the Derby Rises Celebration Event on Sunday 27 September, bookings at Box Office on Fridays from Friday 6 November and officially for performances from Wednesday 2 December.
Some of the measures set out may be clearly visible from the moment you arrive at the Theatre or some which require consideration by our visitors to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable visit.
- All bookings must be made in advance. Where possible, please book online via our website, where you will be issued with an e-ticket. Remember to book early to avoid disappointment as there is limited capacity available.
- For phone bookings, via the Box Office line on 01332 59 39 39, lines will only be open on Fridays (from Friday 11 September) from 11am until 2pm. Online booking however, is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- For patrons wishing to make a booking or an enquiry via text, our text phone number is 07717 346964, which is monitored Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm.
- Derby Theatre will remain closed to the public until Friday 6 November, when the Box Office will re-open once a week, every Friday from 11am - 2pm, for customers to make bookings in person.
- For email enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We endeavour to respond as quickly as possible and are currently operating on a reduced staff team, so it may take us slightly longer to process your email. We will try and get back to you within 5 working days and we thank you in advance for your patience.
Track and Trace
- When booking, please ensure the contact details on your theatre account contain an up-to-date phone number and email address – as these are the details we will use to contact you if needed.
- In line with government advice, we are operating at reduced capacity and only able to offer seats in socially distanced pods (of varying sizes, but not exceeding six people), with two metre distance between each pod. Pods of seats can only be booked and occupied by people from within one household or bubble.
- Please only book into a seating pod that matches your group size. For example a group of two people should not book into a pod of four people. If your pod size is not available please try another performance.
- For any enquiries on how to book a seating pod please email email@example.com or text 07717 346 964.
- For groups – group sizes within a single seating pod cannot exceed six people. Groups exceeding six people can be allocated a number of pods in close proximity to each other. For example, a group of 12 could be placed in three pods of four, as long as each of those four people are from the same household or bubble. Outside of the auditorium, in the front of house areas, we ask you to adhere to the government policy of not gathering in groups of more than 6 people.
- For schools – on selected productions we will be offering a number of schools-only performances where larger sized pods of seats will be available to accommodate class-sized bookings. If you wish to make a school booking or have any questions about school visits please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Book with confidence: free exchange or refund in case of cancellation due to COVID-19. Scroll down for more information on our flexible ticketing policy.
- After booking events held at the theatre, you will be sent a confirmation of your booking and an e-ticket via email. Simply show your e-ticket to a member of our team before entering the auditorium and they will scan the e-ticket directly from your phone. This avoids you having to print at home and/or anyone having to handle printed tickets.
- E-tickets allow us to minimise contact so please make sure your theatre account contains an up-to-date email address. However, if you are unable to be sent an e-ticket via email you may select the option to collect your tickets from Box Office on arrival when making your booking. Protective screens will be in place in the Box Office area.
- If you lose your e-ticket email prior to the performance date, it can also be found on the 'E-tickets' tab of your theatre account.
Flexible Ticketing Policy
- In the unfortunate event of a future production/performance being cancelled, we will automatically offer you: an exchange to a different production/performance (if available); theatre credit (to be used on a future production at Derby Theatre, available for 12 months), a full refund or the option to donate to the Theatre.
- If you are unable to attend a performance due to displaying Covid-19 symptoms, we will be able to offer you theatre credit, valid for 12 months from when the Theatre re-opens.
- If you are unable to attend for any other reason, we are unable to offer a refund. Credit may be offered, but will be assessed on a case by case basis (dependent on the circumstances).
Before You Arrive
- We politely request that you refrain from attending the Theatre should you start displaying any COVID-19 symptoms.
- We may ask you to arrive, and/or admit entry into our auditorium, at staggered times to manage entrance points, reduce large gatherings and maintain social distancing. Please follow any additional guidance that we may send you directly in advance and/or as advised by our front of house team on the day.
- Before leaving home, please check our website and social media pages for any updates. We will also send you a pre-show email with the latest information about your event.
- Please allow more time to arrive at the Theatre, to park, access the building and to familiarise yourself with the new layout and safety measures in place.
- Please only bring one small bag where possible, as we are unable to store any personal items for audience members.
- Please be ready to make any on-site payments via a contactless bank card, rather than cash, where possible.
- Parking is available in the Intu Basement car park, accessible off Traffic Street. Thanks to our friends at Intu, we can offer audience members for The Little Mermaid a special deal of £4 for all-day parking, valid on the day you see the performance at the Theatre. Ask at Box Office on arrival.
- If you are arriving on foot via the Intu centre, signage is in place in the centre to safely guide you to the Theatre.
- New signage with key information, instructions, guidance and advice will be in place at the Theatre. Staff will be on hand upon arrival to answer any questions you may have to make sure you have a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Contactless and Card Payments are preferable but there may be a reduced option for cash only services.
- We politely advise that visitors bring along and wear a face covering at all times whilst in our venue, including when seated in our auditorium. Young people under the age of 11 are not required to wear a face covering.
- Derby Theatre fully supports anyone who does not wish/is unable to wear a face covering due to a mental, physical or hidden disability. We are proud supporters of the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme and have lanyards and badges available.
- You may remove your face covering to enjoy our food and drinks.
- Derby Theatre staff will wear protective face visors at all times.
- We are working to maintain reduced visitor numbers and ensure all our customers feel safe and comfortable in our spaces. Our auditorium and building is working at a 20% capacity to adhere to 2 metre social distancing where possible.
- Auditorium Layout – you will notice a different seating plan to the one you are used to. Derby Theatre has reduced its capacity in the main house by up to 75% to allow for 2 metre social distancing between family groups and bubbles. Please only sit in the seat/s you have booked or been allocated.
- In line with government advice, gatherings of six people within social settings is prohibited. Our seating inside the auditorium is managed and socially distanced, but we will not be offering seating pods in groupings larger than 6 (except for schools).
- Visitors will notice new information signage informing them of key safety and social distancing messages and instructions.
- Support barriers and 2 metre-distanced floor markers will be in place to manage any queues at the Box Office and toilets.
- Our toilets on both levels will be fully open but please adhere to social distancing where possible. Available toilets and urinals to use will be at a distance of 2 metres between them.
- We request all visitors to respect social distancing guidance, measures and advice at all times.
- Please be assured that the Theatre and foyer seating have been fully deep cleaned and will be cleaned and sprayed in between performances with anti-viral products.
- We have enhanced our cleaning schedules and will ensure that we regularly clean high touch points at service and ticket areas.
- We have the following hygiene and safety measures in place: hand sanitisation points, staff wearing face masks/clear visors and clear protective screens at Box Office and service points.
- As with our staff team, we politely ask all our visitors to uphold the highest possible hygiene standards, whether it be when sneezing or coughing, regular hand washing or the frequent application of hand sanitiser.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a full service and menu in our Theatre Café and Bar at this time. For audience members attending a show, a reduced offering will be available.
- For The Little Mermaid: Ice creams will be available to purchase from one sales point in the upper foyer.
- For Friday evening Christmas concerts in December, the bar in the upper foyer will be open 40 minutes before the performance starts.
We hope these new health and safety measures ensure you have confidence and reassurance when visiting us.
These are unprecedented times for everyone, and whilst every effort is being taken to protect the safety and wellbeing of our guests, we advise everyone to inform themselves of the risks, conditions and personal responsibilities before they visit.
We thank you for your custom and understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back to Derby Theatre.