James Naughtie: On the Road: Adventures from Nixon to Trump
Thursday 27 May, 7:30pm - 9pm
Socially Distanced Seating with Face Coverings
James Naughtie, special correspondent for BBC News, is one of the country's best-known broadcasters and has covered every US election from Nixon in 1974 to Biden in 2020. He tells the story of a country that is grappling with a dream. What has it come to mean in the new century, and who do Americans now think they are?
His book includes fascinating insights on the controversial presidential election battle in 2020 between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. It may mark the end of Trump’s term – but maybe not the end of Trumpism as a political movement.
Jim has been travelling in America since the 1970s, witnessing many of the important events that have shaped the country as it is today. On the Road is an account of his experiences, the places and people he has encountered and the changes he has seen.
Jim presented Today on Radio 4 for 21 years, has hosted every edition of BBC Radio 4’s Bookclub since it began in 1998 and has reported for the BBC from around the world for more than three decades.
Live Q&A: There will be an opportunity for Derby Book Festival Authors to answer your questions after the talk. If you have a question, please fill out a question slip before the show starts. These will be available by the entrance to our auditorium. After the talk, a member of our team will collect your question and read it out, so make sure you have it ready! We will try our best to get through as many questions as possible but cannot guarantee all questions will be answered.
Books Purchases and Post-Show Signing: After the performance there will be an opportunity for you to purchase books and get them signed by our Derby Book Festival Authors. After the show, books will be available in our Upper Foyer and book signing will take place in our Café.
Please note: Photographs will not be permitted.
This event takes place in person at Derby Theatre. An online livestream is also available...
Sponsored by Peveril Homes
- All bookings must be made in advance, where you will be issued with an e-ticket. Please note that the Box Office is currently available for calls (01332 59 39 39) and in-person bookings on Tuesday - Saturday between 10am - 2pm. Online bookings are available 24/7.
- For any enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 07717 346 964 and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Please make sure your theatre account has an up-to-date e-mail address and contact number so we can send your e-ticket.
- Book with confidence: we will be offering a flexible ticketing policy to avoid any concern about cancelled performances. A free exchange or refund will be offered in cases of event cancellations due to COVID-19.
Socially Distanced Seating Pods
- In line with government advice, we are offering seats for all in-person events up until 21 June 2021 in socially distanced pods with one metre distance between each pod. Pods of seats can only be booked and occupied by people from within one household or bubble.
- Please only book into a seating pod that matches your group size. If the pod size you wish to book is not available, please consider booking two pods of 2 for a group of 4, one pod of 2 and one pod of 3 for a group of 5 and so on. If this is not suitable, please do get in touch to discuss by email email@example.com or text 07717 346 964.
- Please note there is some level of flexibility and if demand is there we will look to adapt the seating plan as and where we can, while maintaining social distancing, to continue offering varying sized pods (if and where the seating plan allows).
- If government guidelines change before this event takes place, the seating plan may change and capacity may increase.