Thursday 27 May, 3 - 4pm
From the best-selling author of A Very English Scandal and The Dig, John Preston brings us the jaw-dropping life story of notorious business tycoon and former Derby County FC owner, Robert Maxwell.
In February 1991, Robert Maxwell made a triumphant entrance into Manhattan harbour aboard his yacht, the Lady Ghislaine, to finalise his purchase of the ailing New York Daily News. But just ten months later Maxwell was dead, having disappeared overboard from the same yacht off the Canary Islands.
The embodiment of Britain's post-war boom, an Orthodox Jew, he had escaped the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, fought in World War II and was decorated with the Military Cross. He went on to become a Labour MP and an astonishingly successful businessman. But on his death his empire fell apart as long-hidden debts and unscrupulous dealings came to light. No one had ever fallen so far and so quickly.
How did a war hero and model of society, who laid such store on the importance of ethics and good behaviour, become reduced to a bloated, amoral wreck?
This is an online livestream. In-person tickets for this event are also available...
- All bookings must be made in advance and we encourage you to book online. Please note that you must book tickets by 2pm on Thursday 27 May (one hour before the livestream start time).
- After booking, you will first be sent a temporary e-ticket to confirm your booking. Then on the day, at one hour before the livestream start time, you will receive a second e-ticket which contains the link and password to view the livestream online.
- Your e-tickets will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org to the email address on your theatre account. Please make sure your account has a correct e-mail address so we can send your e-ticket and your link/password. Your e-ticket will also be accessible from your theatre account.
- IMPORTANT: to ensure you don't miss any emails from us, please add the email addresses email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org to your known/safe senders list or be sure to check your junk or spam folders. This does not add you to our marketing mailing list.
- You do not need a Vimeo account to watch the livestream but you will need to enter the password.
- A digital usher will be present should you have any issues accessing the performance. Their name and contact details will be included in the email with your link and password.