Saturday 29 May at 2pm - 3pm
It is hard to categorise The Mermaid of Black Conch – a love story, Caribbean mythology, a historical novel, a novel about women’s rights and race – it is unique!
Set in 1976 on a tiny Caribbean island, David, a local fisherman goes out on his daily fishing trip, singing to himself and playing his guitar. Aycayia, a beautiful young woman cursed by jealous wives to live as a mermaid, has been swimming the Caribbean Sea for centuries. She becomes entranced by David and his song and they form a bond. During the annual Marlin fishing competition, Aycayia is caught and is perceived as a much bigger prize. Rescued by David, the couple face ruin.
The Mermaid of Black Conch is Monique’s seventh novel and, not only did it win the Costa Book Award 2020, it was shortlisted for the Goldsmiths Prize 2020 and longlisted for the Rathbones/Folio Award.
This is an online livestream. In-person tickets for this event are also available...
- All bookings must be made in advance and we encourage you to book online. Please note that you must book tickets by 1pm on Saturday 29 May (one hour before the livestream start time).
- After booking, you will first be sent a temporary e-ticket to confirm your booking. Then on the day, at one hour before the livestream start time, you will receive a second e-ticket which contains the link and password to view the livestream online.
- Your e-tickets will be sent via email from email@example.com to the email address on your theatre account. Please make sure your account has a correct e-mail address so we can send your e-ticket and your link/password. Your e-ticket will also be accessible from your theatre account.
- IMPORTANT: to ensure you don't miss any emails from us, please add the email addresses firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com to your known/safe senders list or be sure to check your junk or spam folders. This does not add you to our marketing mailing list.
- You do not need a Vimeo account to watch the livestream but you will need to enter the password.
- A digital usher will be present should you have any issues accessing the performance. Their name and contact details will be included in the email with your link and password.