Derby Theatre Associate Artist Scheme now open for applications until Friday 3 September
Derby Theatre is looking for a host of new Associate Artists who make bold, engaging and brilliant performance work.
We are searching for artists or companies to join the Derby Theatre family, with whom we can develop meaningful relationships with.
Lead Image: A Thing Mislaid by Maison Foo. Photography by Robert Day.
Who Can Apply?
- A theatre company or an individual artist who works in live performance and who wants to develop their practice alongside Derby Theatre over the next 2 years. This could include theatre companies/collectives, writers, directors, designers, choreographers, spoken word artists, performers etc.
- We would like to work with artists who commit to our locale and our community. You should be from Derby/Derbyshire, based here or be able to demonstrate a strong connection to Derby/Derbyshire (For example you make most of your work in the area and understand our communities).
Images L-R: Esme Sears, Ishi-Khan Jackson, Jimmy Fairhurst and Omar Khan. Photography by Chris Webb.
What we are looking for from applicants
- A strong interest in community engagement and a desire to make work which is relevant and has a sense of place.
- Commitment to working in a way which represents the communities of Derby/Derbyshire and to making work in the area.
- Early or mid-career artists (by this we mean you need to have made one or more professional productions, in which everyone was paid an industry standard wage).
Please note: we offer a separate scheme for graduates please email Simrun Sandhu at: S.Sandhu@derby.ac.uk
Image: Cinderella, A Wicked Mother of a Night by Not Too Tame. Photography by Chris Webb
Listen to an audio described version of all the details and information about the Associate Artists call-out.
Alternatively, to listen to an audio described version of all the text on this page click the red "Enable accessibility" button at the top right hand corner of the page to activate the Recite Me toolbar then hover over the text you wish to listen to. For more information read the user guide.
Download our recruitment pack for more information on the following...
Who can apply: page 3
Equality, diversity and inclusion: page 4
What the scheme offers: pages 5-6
How to apply: page 7
The selection process: page 8
What previous Associate Artists have said about the scheme: page 9
Pack produced by Hannah Stone
Image: Symone performing at Derby Rises. Photography by Chris Webb
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all we work with and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, caring responsibilities, disability, gender, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We guarantee to interview any candidate with a disability or from an ethnically diverse background who meets the essential criteria for the role as we are underrepresented by these groups in our workforce.
Image: Bethany Sheldon and Kate Lowe from Maison Foo as the Tea Ladies
How To Apply
To apply please send the following by 5pm on Friday 3rd September to Simrun Sandhu at S.Sandhu@derby.ac.uk
1) CV or Company Biography
3) Expression of Interest: A 1-2 page expression of interest (in Word or as a PDF) or 4-6 minute video or voice note (Sent via Wetransfer)
We appreciate applications are unpaid labour so we suggest you try to do this in one page/4 minutes. If you do want to write/record more please don't exceed 2 pages/6 minutes. You will not be penalised either way.
Image: Esmee Marsh and Tania Nwachukwu in All The Places We Could Travel Zoom Play by Rommi Smith
What you should include in the Expression of Interest
Your connection to Derbyshire
Tell us if you are based in Derbyshire or from Derbyshire or why you have a strong connection to the area.
A description of your work/practice
Tell us about the work you are excited about making, what drives you as an artist and how this fits with Derby Theatre’s ethos. You might want to give an example of a recent piece of work or something you are currently exploring in your practice.
What or how would you like to develop over the next two years
This might include a piece of work you want to make, an area of your practice you’d like to explore or how you’d like to develop professionally.
If you require an alternative way to make your application, and to discuss what format suits you please contact Simrun Sandhu at S.Sandhu@derby.ac.uk to discuss a suitable format.
Friday 3 September, 5pm
Follow us for more opportunities and the latest news and jobs.