Looking Back at Brassed Off - DT Memory Box
As part of our new Memory Box feature, we'll be delving into our archive and looking back at a different Derby Theatre production each week.
We want to hear from you! Share your thoughts, memories and pictures of the shows you enjoyed at Derby Theatre and any archive materials you may have on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with #DTMemoryBox.
First up is Brassed Off, performed in Autumn 2015 as part of the venue's 40th anniversary!
NEW: Danny's Speech Revisited
Gary Cooper revisits his role as Danny and performs the iconic speech from the end of the play at home.
NEW: Catch Up With The Cast
Cast members from Brassed Off had a catch up to share their memories of the show and what they've been up to since.
Thank you to Jimmy Fairhurst, Seren Sandham-Davies, Lisa Allen, Darren Bancroft, Simon Baum from Derwent Brass and Howard Chadwick for taking part.
"Outstanding... One of the finest things the theatre has ever done"
The Stage ★★★★★
- Brassed Off remains Derby Theatre's best-selling drama ever - shifting over 12,800 tickets!
- The production also featured our largest ever company, made up of 10 professional actors, 4 community ensemble, 9 young company and 41 members of Derwent Brass Band.
- The run included a special gala performance, marking 40 years of the theatre being at its current site in the Eagle Market.
- Free tickets were offered to some mining families from local communities.
- The cast's first day of rehearsal involved a visit to the National Mining Museum in Wakefield, a member of staff from which acted as an advisory to the show.
- Cast members Jimmy Fairhurst, Adam Horvath, Jo Mousley and Jake Waring have all gone on to star in other Derby Theatre productions.
- Set Designer Ali Allen also went on to design our productions of TWO and The Jungle Book, both of which will be appearing as Memory Box shows in the coming weeks.
- One of the community members, Emily May, went on to star as Matilda in the West End.
- The teaser trailer was filmed in a dis-used quarry next door to Crich Tramway Museum on a scorching hot day. Featured in the trailer were two actors from the show (Garry Cooper and Adam Horvath) plus some Theatre staff and around 30 members of the community, all volunteers. Watch the trailer below...
A Derby Theatre Production BRASSED OFF Fri 18 September - Sat 10 October Starring Garry Cooper, Jimmy Fairhurst, Jo...
About the Play
The stage play of Brassed Off is adapted by Paul Allen and based on the screenplay of the smash-hit film by Mark Herman, which starred Ewan McGregor.
It's 1994 and the miners are striking as the local colliery faces closure. Danny's dreams of leading the pit's brass band to victory at a national competition at the Albert Hall seem remote as the men choose between picket lines and redundancy packages.
But when Flugelhorn-playing Gloria returns to her home town the band get their oompah back and romance is rekindled with her childhood sweetheart Andy. However, when the real reason for Gloria's return is revealed and the pressures of the strike get too much for the band members, things start to fall out of tune.
LISTEN: Derwent Brass perform Jerusalem
The Miners' Strike - The Politics and Repercussions
by Andrew Fergus Wilson
The repurcussions of the 1984-5 Miners' Strike are still felt by characters in the play, set in 1994, and even in society today.
Directing The Show
Artistic Director and Chief Executive of Derby Theatre, and director of Brassed Off, discusses the three reasons she chose Brassed Off as a Derby Theatre productions and the process behind directing.
Designed by Ali Allen.
Interviews with the Cast
Watch video interviews with cast members Adam Horvath and Jake Waring discussing the experiences working on the show.
We had a wonderful evening on Tuesday, celebrating the 40th anniversary of our building with a special Gala performance...
"...shows the people of Derby that their theatre is indispensable to the city's welfare"
British Theatre Guide
Next Week's Memory...
Kes from Autumn 2013