Looking Back at TWO - DT Memory Box
In this week's Memory Box, we're going back to the pub and our Spring 2018 production of TWO, Jim Cartwright's moving two-hander.
First, let's check in with our two actors, Sean McKenzie and Jo Mousley, at home with these specially recorded clips.
The Landlord Returns
How fast can you recite this MEGA bar order? Sean reprises his role as the Landlord...
Mrs Iger and her big men
Can you tell what Mrs Iger loves most? Jo revisits one of the larger than life characters...
"A rich revival of Jim Cartwright’s toast to love, in all its forms"
The Stage ★★★★
Key Facts About The Production
- TWO is one of Jim Cartwright's most popular plays, consisting of just two actors who play 14 different roles between them!
- Jim Cartwright attended the press night of TWO and described the show as "a truly fine production."
- The set was designed by Ali Allen, which included a real functioning bar (with working pumps and optics), which also served real ale.
- The set also comprised of on-stage 'Experience Seats', which customers could book for a real up-close-and-personal experience. The price of their ticket also included a drink from the on-stage bar and pub grub served on the set was also an option for these bookers to order prior to the performance.
TWO Production Photography by Robert Day
- Local brewery, Dancing Duck Brewery supported the production by producing a specially brewed real ale in branded bottles called The Dramatic Duck - bottles, beer mats and pump badges all carried this bespoke name and branding - both on the on-stage bar and in the bar in the upper foyer at the Theatre.
- During rehearsals, the actors visiting the Dancing Duck brewery premises in Derby - where they were given a guided tour of how the ale is brewed. The cast also had an ale pulling lesson from staff at The Exeter Arms pub in the city - on how to pour the perfect pint!
- Jo Mousley and Sean McKenzie have both worked at Derby Theatre (and at Derby Playhouse before that) on a number of occasions previously.
Jo appeared in the phenomenally popular Brassed Off in 2015, and Sean was in the smash-hit run of Godber's On the Piste at the Playhouse in 2001, amongst others)
Jo also appeared in Hello and Goodbye at York Theatre Royal, plus Hamlet at Leeds Playouse. Sean appeared in a UK, Ireland and South Africa tour of War Horse plus two runs of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time in the West End.
- Three local young boys shared the role of one surprise character in the story - one of the most heartbreaking moments in the piece.
- The teaser trailer, showcasing several of the roles played by Sean and Jo, was filmed at The Hop Inn in Belper.
"There's never a dull moment when you deal in liquor. And you get to meet the choicest of people..." The production...
About The Play
1 pub. 14 different characters. 2 actors.
TWO is hilarious, yet heart-breaking, and presents a slice of working-class life in a Northern local pub in the 1980s. With a constantly quarrelling landlord and landlady, and the dozen regulars pulling up a stool, all life is present in this pub.
It is the heart of communities. It is where people laugh, share stories, celebrate and mourn. It is a place of failed aspirations and unfulfilled lives.
Through this range of colourful characters, the rich tapestry of their interconnecting lives is revealed. With the fragile relationship of our less than cordial hosts at breaking point, a rollercoaster of emotions unfolds.
Watch our behind-the-scenes video playlist to see how key elements of the production were made, including the ambitious set design which featured a working on-stage bar and experience seats.
TWO was first performed in 1989. Test your knowledge of the year with these pub quiz questions from the show's programme. Perfect if you need some inspiration for your next Zoom quiz!
Character Cocktail - Interview with the Actors
Revisit this interview with actors Sean McKenzie and Jo Mousley as discuss the challenge of playing so many characters in one production and their experience of working at Derby Theatre.
“A mesmerising two-hander… Sean McKenzie and Jo Mousley provide a seamless performance”
Did You See Two?
If you sat in a seat on-stage, we would also love to hear what you thought of the experience.