Casting announced for Christmas production of Treasure Island, due to set sail again this festive season
Derby Theatre’s big main house production for Christmas 2021 will be Theresa Heskins’ award-winning adaptation of Treasure Island, a spectacular swashbuckling adventure for the whole family, and we are thrilled to announce the cast.
Treasure Island was due to be performed in March 2020 but was put on hold due to the pandemic, so we are thrilled this pirate-filled production will set sail again this festive season.
Treasure Island follows the hugely successful production of The Jungle Book in spring 2019 and once again, all performances will have fully integrated BSL and Captioning.
The professional cast will consist of Deaf, hearing and interpreting actors and musicians. The creative team will also include Deaf people.
Garry Robson as Long John Silver
Garry Robson will play the iconic role of Long John Silver.
Garry’s credits include Piaf for Leeds Playhouse and Nottingham Playhouse, Our Town for Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, Guys and Dolls for Sheffield Crucible and Kiss Me Quickstep for Queen’s Theatre Hornchurch.
Joining Garry, the company includes:
- Becky Barry (The Jungle Book for Derby Theatre and Romeo & Juliet for Shakespeare’s Globe);
- Erin Siobhan Hutching (Macbeth: Toil & Trouble for Derby-based 1623 theatre company and People of The Eye for a UK tour);
- Nadeem Islam (Oliver Twist for Ramps on the Moon, Blasted for Graeae and RADA and Horrible Histories: The Dreadful Deaf for Birmingham Stage Company);
- Oraine Johnson (The Jungle Book and One Man, Two Guvnors for Derby Theatre and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest for Torch Theatre);
- Raffie Julien (Tommy for Ramps on The Moon and Deaf Rave for The Dome);
- Jim Kitson (The Wind in the Willows for Derby Theatre, Pitmen Painters for New Vic Theatre plus George Gently and Tracey Beaker Returns for the BBC);
- Rachael Merry (Antigone for Storyhouse, Blockbuster for Lamphouse Theatre, Living Newspape for Royal Court Theatre and I WANNA BE YOURS for Paines Plough;
- April Nerissa Hudson (The Little Mermaid for Derby Theatre, Man Like Mobeen and Doctors for the BBC and Wanted, celebrating Women’s History Month for Gazebo Theatre’s national tour);
- Alex Nowak (Our Country’s Good for Ramps on the Moon and Europe for Leeds Playhouse); Dominic Rye (The Jungle Book and Alice in Wonderland for Derby Theatre, Treasure Island for Leicester Haymarket and The Wind in the Willows for Sherman Theatre);
- Robert Took (Sunny Afternoon for Harold Pinter Theatre and UK tour and The Ruck for Lawrence Batley Theatre).
University of Derby Alumni
Joining the company, as recent graduates from the University of Derby, we are also thrilled to announce Charlie Ellen-Ayers and Kai Bools.
The creative team for Treasure Island is: Sarah Brigham (Director); Emily Howlett (Associate Director); Neil Irish (Designer); Tim Skelly (Lighting Designer); Ivan Stott (Composer & Sound Designer); Daryl Jackson (BSL Consultant), Ian Stapleton (Fight Director); Danny Hendrix (Assistant Director) and Maria Terry (Assistant Designer).
About Treasure Island
Theresa Heskins’ award-wining adaptation of Treasure Island is inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic tale of buried treasure and buccaneers.
Brimming with a bountiful supply of original live music, sumptuous sets and costumes, drama and ahoy me hearties, this will be a thrilling theatrical voyage for all ages to embark on.
Batten down the hatches and book now for the truly wonderful Treasure Island.
Treasure Island will run at Derby Theatre from Friday 26 November to Friday 31 December.