Volunteer and training opportunity with Derby CAN: Be a Part of bringing Arts and Cultural events to communities of Derby
What is it?
Derby CAN want to help you learn all the skills that you might need to run your own events!
We are looking for people who want to program visiting shows, music, events, poetry, theatre that YOU WANT to see and run them your way in your hubs. In order to do this, we are creating a volunteering and training program with help from our 10 partners across the city and the UK that you can be a part of for free and we will cover the cost. We want to invest in the people of Derby, we are looking for enthusiastic, positive and driven people to take part and learn from industry professionals.
Do you want to know how to run an arts venue?
Do you want to get involved in what your local community can see?
Have you ever wanted to know how to schedule, organise and host an event?
Or maybe you want to learn more about the technical side of a performance, how to use sound and lighting equipment?
During the volunteering training programme we will help you learn all the skills you want to know about which could help you run your community hub, as well as other skills which can transfer to your day-to-day life, build your cv and give you experience in the arts and cultural world if that is where you would like to be.
We need your help and knowledge of Derby and your communities, so we can:
- Set up the community hubs with the people of Derby at the heart of the work that comes in..
- For you to be in control of the decisions.
- Represent your community by creating art and cultural events you want to see happening in your area. Everyone and anyone is welcome, this is for you, yes you!
Let us know what you want to learn and we’ll make it happen!
Maybe you want to bring in people who can do fun things with you like:
- Acting classes
- Drumming workshops
- Poetry writing
- Play reading clubAs part of the volunteer group we will also be taking you out across the country to see other examples of shows, gallery's, exhibitions, events... so if you have any examples let us know! (Don’t worry if you don’t know what you want to see, we’ll find some things to start the ball rolling!)
Examples of opportunities available:- A look at the technical kit that is used for lighting, sound, projection (It's not as scary as we thought!) with QUAD
How to build a projection screen, use kit including a lighting desk and PA sound system.
We will help you put on your first event! After this 2 hour workshop session, you will produce, organise and sell tickets for a cinema screening at Normanton Library.
- One-on-one mentoring and chat with Wild Rumpus tailored to you and to the areas of creating events you want to know about at Timber Festival.
- Chance to go to Timber festival for free!
If it is sound, lighting, programming, managing, or staging, Wild Rumpus will pair you with an experienced person who is delivering on that part of the festival.Please fill out the form to give us an idea of other opportunities you would like to participate in.
Who is it for?
This programme is aimed at everyone over the age of 18! No previous experience is needed, just a willing to learn.
We will be by your side every step of the way to make these community hubs possible.
What is Derby CAN (Creative Arts Network)?
Derby CAN is a 3-year, multi-partner Arts Council England funded project along with Paul Hamlyn Foundation and University of Derby to work, co-curate and co-create with different communities, to support and strengthen the performing arts sector for everyone in the local area.
How do I get involved?
All opportunities are FREE.
Please let us know if you have any access needs and we can make suitable arrangements.
To register your interest or find out more, download and complete the form and send it to Stephanie Andrews at firstname.lastname@example.org.